Planning – Internship (Bonita Springs) 08 October 2019
Waldrop Engineering, P.A. is seeking a Planning Intern. This is a full-time, paid internship for 10-12 weeks, dependent upon the candidate’s schedule, at our corporate headquarters in Bonita Springs, Florida. Longer internships will be considered based upon the candidate’s schedule, interests and qualifications.
Waldrop Engineering is a full-service consulting firm offering Planning, Landscape Architecture, and Civil Engineering services to a diverse clientele across the state. Our Planning & Landscape Architecture Department engages in master planning and community design; processing and managing entitlement petitions (including but not limited to rezonings, Comprehensive Plan Amendments, and annexations); public outreach and consensus building efforts; and Land Development Code and policy formulation on behalf of private developers and local governments.
We are seeking a highly motivated, detail-oriented planning intern that works well in a team environment. The selected candidate must demonstrate excellent organizational and communication skills, and an understanding of the urban and regional planning field. Experience analyzing and applying local Land Development Code and Comprehensive Plans is preferred.
- Prepare basic GIS exhibits, including aerial location maps, zoning maps, and similar.
- Assist the Planning Department staff in research, and the collection of data from a variety of local, state, and federal sources to support various planning initiatives.
- Assist the Planning Department staff with technical work including preparation of land use applications, due diligence reports, and presentations to support residential, commercial, mixed-use and institutional development projects.
- Assist in community outreach engagements and neighborhood workshops. The selected candidate will also have the opportunity to audit a variety of public hearings in various jurisdictions.
- Assist the Planning Department Staff with various administrative tasks in support of planning initiatives, including filing, organizing internal and external meetings and cataloging reports.
- A strong interest and general understanding of urban and regional planning and community development.
- Basic understanding of Geographical Information Systems (GIS), including the retrieval of land use data from a variety of governmental GIS databases.
- Detail oriented, highly organized with strong commitment to accuracy and time management.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel. Experience with MS Project and Adobe suite is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to work independently.
Minimum Experience / Education:
The minimum education requirement is completion of third year of an undergraduate degree program in City, Urban or Regional Planning or similar program. Basic GIS skills are required. Previous internship experience at a private or public-sector planning agency is preferred, but not required. Candidates in master’s degree programs will also be considered.
Please submit the following documents via email to Alexis Cresp, AICP, LEED AP at email@example.com
- Cover Letter
- Three (3) references with contact information
- A written sample of report or technical work (primarily written by applicant, if a team project is submitted clearly indicate if work was done as part of a team, and your specific contribution to the work).
$16.00 / hour.